Thursday, April 22, 2010

Reflection by Nick Brown

So we're done with all of our service work now... It's been quite a week. This has definitely been one of my best service experiences so far. It has been one of the most fun and relaxing projects, but also one of the most productive and engaging. We have been able to see some significant visual progress at each of the sites we have worked on, especially at our main site where we had begun installing frames and flooring by our last two workdays. I have learned a lot throughout the build process. I had never previously been involved in any sort of significant building project like this and did not know much of anything about construction coming in; however, by the last few hours of working, I was being left to do tasks on my own and had a pretty good sense of everything that was going on around me. I had also started to establish some pretty friendly relationships with the volounteers working at the site who were not affiliated with McQuaid.


Our group had a lot of fun outside of our work time as well and time each day and evening to ourselves to do as we pleased back at our bunkhouse, which proved to be very accomodating and was well located around the build sites and local stores. Overall, this was a fantastic experience and would definitely be an experience I would repeat if given the opportunity. I am very interested in volunteering for Habitat for Humanity again and participating in future service projects, both with McQuaid and otherwise, and would encourage others to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment